Monday, August 09, 2010

Jacob's Day

First of all.  Jacob is now tall enough to brush his teeth at my sink without standing on a stool.  Okay.  I just had to get that out, because it's been bugging me all day.  Excuse me, while I go have a good cry.

Today Jacob cashed in on the birthday gift of "a day with Nana."  I know, I know... you're thinking:  That Lita is just too generous.  She is going to spoil that kid rotten with the expensive gifts she showers on him.

He got to my house earlier than I expected, and since I'd had an unpleasant night, what with the barfing/puking/hurling, I was still in bed.  Actually, I'd had a pretty good night's sleep, but...I was still in bed.  Soooo....since he can apparently read my mind, he jumped in bed with me and watched cartoons while I slowly came to life.

Then, of course, he had to torment play with James.





Before the promised trip to the Aquarium, we had to make a stop at the pool store to get our water tested.  (A-OK, by the way.)  It must have seemed like a LOOOONNNNNGGGGG way to the Aquarium, because Jacob (my little fellow-worrier) was very concerned that we would run out of gas.  I kept assuring him that I had a tank full of gas and that it would last me a week.  He peeked at the gas gauge and asked, "Does F mean Full?"  Why, yes....yes it does.  I said, "And what does E mean?"  "Not full?" Exactly.

Just before we got to Jenks, he was very dismayed and I thought he was going to start crying.

J:  "I want to go home."
Me:  "You don't want to go to the Aquarium?"
J:  "What if we don't have enough gas to get home?  We'll have to walk, and walk, and ask somebody to help us and we'll be hungry and thirsty."
Me:  "I PROMISE, we won't run out of gas."




Besides the sharks, this octopus was our favorite.

We also got to see two huge snapping turtles who were either playing, fighting, or making more snapping turtles.  Which later, Jacob described as (sung in high soprano voice) "Awe-some."

As soon as we got back in the car, the first thing Jacob did was look at the gas gauge.  "Oh, good, we're still on F."  Yeah, luckily no one siphoned our gas while we were fish-watching.

After lunch at home (we did NOT run out of gas) we spent a little time in the pool.  But seriously...is it possible for it to be too hot to swim?  I think so.

Jacob saw a picture of cupcakes on the side of the flour package and begged to make cupcakes.  Hmmm.  Not likely.  But I finally gave in to making cookies.  He'll never know what a sacrifice this was for me.  I was still having flashbacks of the cheesecake and the puking.


This is mainly why he likes to make cookies:


Before devouring his first scoop of cookie dough, he held it up to me and said, "bon appetit!"  What a clown.


I have a double oven, but never remember to use the lower one when I bake with Jacob.  So he DOES need a stool to watch the cookies bake.  At least for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for being such an (sung in high soprano voice) Awe-some NaNa!

JNB