Wednesday, August 03, 2011

The Past Month

My son and his new bride have been staying with me this past month.  After hurried nuptial arrangements, they found out that their apartment in Texas wouldn't be ready until August 5.  That seemed soooo far away, but now it's here.

It has been delightful. And handy.  My daughter-in-law does laundry, cleans the kitchen and cuts my bangs.  She also understands my obsession with reality tv and doesn't laugh when I cry.  She's taken an interest in cooking...which I don't hate.  Coming home to the smell of pot roast is pretty great.

Watching newlyweds could become addictive.  They are so full of life and hope and excitement.  And then there's the calm, peaceful moments.   I heard them around 1:30 this morning--making nachos.  (That's not the calm/peaceful moments I'm talking about.)  They had just spent the previous hour and a half in the bed of Jeff's truck, looking at the Milky Way and counting shooting stars.  Do I hear a collective "awwwww"?

Since the storm a couple of weeks ago took out my yard light, it is REALLY, REALLY dark out here in the boonies, and the stars are especially bright.

We're packing them up and leaving Friday.  The forecast calls for a high of 105.  Whew.  That's a relief. I was afraid it would still be 114.

No comments: