Monday, March 05, 2012

Wildfires

I'm absolutely THRILLED about the mild winter we had.  What I'm not so thrilled about are the consequences.

This years' tick population will be astronomical.  As if it wasn't already.  Did you know that it takes at least 30 straight days of below freezing weather to kill a tick?  Those suckers are stout!

Today it's 72 degrees, dry, and windy.  Which means a lot of homes are threatened by the raging wildfires.


That haze in the distance is smoke, people.


So far, my house is not in danger.  But if it was...no great loss.  Just give me time to grab my camera and my chocolate covered almonds, and I'm good.

Osage County smells like smoke.  Which reminds me, we didn't have one fire in the fireplace this winter.  Not one! (Not complaining.)

But I do wish we'd get rain soon.  I have a brush pile calling my name.


Good thing Neal covered it with a tarp so it would stay dry. :-)




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are smelling the fire here. About 30 minutes after we worked out it started getting hazy.

Janet