Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Meltdown

A few anxious moments today. During a thunderstorm around noon, I heard a "pop" but really couldn't determine where it came from. Neal is always chiding me for hearing little noises and thinks I'm paranoid, so I bravely went on with my day with no worries. Around 2:30, I noticed that it was getting quite warm in the house. (We like to call it a house...we're in our own little fantasy world.) It's very unusual for me to get too warm during the day, but I've been a little under the weather. I had been blaming a gas leak at the plant for Neal's congestion, coughing, sneezing, etc., but apparently I was mistaken and now have his cooties. Anyway, back to the "pop"....it didn't take this detective long to realize that the air conditioner was not coming on! Yikes! That's not good! So begins the adventure of looking for a breaker switch. Now, believe it or not, after more than 3 weeks living here, I'm still nervous about all the switches. I just know that I will inadvertantly flip a switch that will initiate the sliding in of our three "slide-outs" and I'll be trapped between the couch and the TV. Of course, nothing in the manual addresses the location of a fuse box or breakers. That would be WAYYYYYY too easy. I'm looking in closets, cabinets, bathroom, reading all the verbiage on each little switchplate. Finally, I look at this little odd coverplate just inside the door and it occurs to me that I've always wondered what that was. I take the cover off and there are all the breaker switches!!!! Hooray! One is even labeled A/C. How nice of them. It is now cooling off in our "house" and the crisis is over. For today.

No comments: