Thursday, November 30, 2006

Blizzard of 2006


Yes, I'm from Canada, and no, I don't remember it ever being colder than it is here in Tulsa today. We've gone from rain to freezing rain to sleet (how is that different from freezing rain?) to snow. The wind is so forceful, it's hard to tell if it's still snowing or just blowing. Jeremy, Trista and kids are snowed in at Trista's parents, so I'm here all alone. Got LOTS done today. Not quite sure what I'll do tomorrow. My mother-in-law called to check on me--what a sweetheart--said to call if I needed anything. Hmmmm. Wonder what she would do if I did need something since she's snowed in as well. Anyway.......

As a diversion to my productive and peaceful day of hemming pants, making chocolate covered pretzels, backing up all my digital photos and listening to Josh Groban, I decided to do my son a favor by checking on his dog, Hunter. Jeremy was worried that he wasn't using his dog house. Since it's apparent Jeremy will not venture out in this weather, I decided to feed Hunter and see what he was using for shelter. As predicted, he wasn't smart enough to crawl into his dog house, but instead, was huddled under a shrub next to the house. My concern was more for myself--how do I get into the yard since the gate is frozen shut? If I try to climb over it, I'll have to put the dog food somewhere and my arms are not long enough to reach over the fence. After much chipping, digging and pounding, the gate opened just enough for me to squeeze through. Now...to get the solid ice out of the dish to make room for the food. (I don't own a dog for this very reason!) Finally the job was done and I immediately called to tell Jeremy that he OWES me! A couple of hours later, news and weather reporters were guilting all pet owners into bringing their animals inside for the night. You've got to be kiddin' me! That ain't happenin'. But soon, the old heart started aching for this poor innocent dog who didn't have a choice (except the choice to get IN THE DOG HOUSE). The garage would be the logical place for him, so I set about clearing an area, plugging in a space heater (which I soon found was broken) and a trouble light. Now to go rescue Hunter. Much to my dismay, the tiny opening I had to squeeze through to retrieve him was plenty wide enough for him to slip through. Hunter!!! Wait!!! I'm trying to HELP you!!! By the time I've taken his bed out of the dog house to put in the garage, Hunter is nowhere in sight. I call him, but he really doesn't know my voice much less obey it. Why did I never learn to whistle? Luckily I've honed my tracking skills and tracked him through the snow to the neighbors house and proceeded to drag him by the collar to his new haven. Now Jeremy owes me BIG!!!

2 comments:

Amy said...

He looks very thankful to be inside! I can definetly relate to you on the thought, "what am I going to do tomorrow?" I have not gone anywhere in 2 days. My house is as clean as it is going to get, drawers and closets organized, and I have managed to put liners in all the drawers and cabinets in my house. I hope the kids get to come home soon to keep you company!

jessica said...

So, you are a Josh Groban fan too. We love his music. We actually got to see him last spring in Okc. he was great.