Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Tribute to Grandma


I have been blessed to have my Grandma for over 50 years. That era came to an end on Wednesday, November 22, 2006. At the age of 89, Grandma left this earth to go home to be with her heavenly Father. It still seems surreal to me, since I've known for several years that each time I saw her may be the last. I've attended many funerals and tried to imagine what it would be like when the day came that we would bury my precious grandmother. So at her funeral, it felt like another rehearsal, a time to prepare myself for the inevitable.


I have the usual regrets...that I didn't visit her often enough, didn't pick up the phone to talk to her enough, didn't write enough letters. But I KNOW that I LOVED her enough.


I remember Grandma as a hard-working farmer's wife, a playmate for her grandchildren, a servant to those in need. A woman of grace and poise, dressing in her best for church on Sunday and always adding the appropriate accessories--scarf or necklace and earrings to match. She made the best chocolate cake in the world...and knew I liked mine dunked in a glass of cold milk.


She taught me, played with me, scolded me, loved me. Grandma, I will miss you.


No comments: