Thursday, March 29, 2007

The Nightmare Begins






We officially closed on our new property on Monday. Nineteen acres of pasture, trees, pond, creek and pool, along with barn, garage, shop, game room and 1950's house that underwent some updating in the early 70's. Yes, we are a part of the Green Acres Trend, giving up the city life and moving to the country. Did I mention the house was built in the 50's? We are completely renovating the house and game room. The central heat and air installation began on Tuesday...there are just some conveniences I'm not willing to give up. The painters showed up on Wednesday, tore down the carport and were gone before 3:00. Today they managed to replace a few pieces of siding, remove the storm windows, sand down the ceiling in the game room, and again, left around 3:00. At this pace, it will be August before move-in. I have now obtained a general contractor, Marvin, to do all the dirty work, since I can't seem to get any of the workers to take me seriously. I am so overwhelmed by all that needs to be done, and every project seems to uncover a new problem to be dealt with. This is only Day 3 and I have been near tears all day. It sure looks like a lot more fun on HGTV!!! Our old friends (and new neighbors) Alan and Susan have been invaluable. Alan knows all the right people and is adept at wheeling and dealing. Susan has shopped, cleaned, pulled nails, ripped up flooring and cheered me on in my feeble efforts. They have been through this process before and assure me it will all be worthwhile. Here are some "Before" pictures. I hope to have some "After" pictures by June!

1 comment:

jessica said...

That looks like a lot of hard work! I see why you feel overwhelmed. I can't wait to see it finished.