Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Playing with Fire


Apparently it is advantageous to "burn off" your farm in the Spring. It's not only the quickest way to clean up leaves, old tall grasses and many fallen limbs and branches, but it also reduces the tick population. Of course, I couldn't begin to attempt burning without Neal here, so we're a little late, as there is already quite a bit of green growing that won't burn. It's also been a very windy Spring, so when Monday was a clear, mild day, with variable winds less than 5 mph, everything else had to be dropped to spend the day burning. Alan came over to show us city folks the proper care and handling of a farm burn. I had no idea it was so involved. After alerting the neighbors and the Rural Fire Department, the pyromania began. It was exhausting and DIRTY work. The whole day was spent lighting, re-routing, extinguishing, and re-lighting fires. I have to admit, some of it was kind of fun. I had a prayer meeting to attend at 6:00 p.m. and at 5:15 Neal said, "If you're going to pray, you'd better go get cleaned up." I took a quick bath, threw on some clean clothes and rushed to church. I had no make-up on, my face was red from occasionally getting too close to the fire, and my hair still smelled like smoke. I walked in at 6:02. Wow! I'm even impressed. That is....until...Etta commented, "Did you know you have your shirt on wrong-side-out?" Ummm....yeah....I meant to do that.

1 comment:

Amy said...

You are such a farm girl. When are you going to get some pigs and chickens to slaughter?