Friday, December 18, 2009

PC in the CoC

I find it odd that the ONE time my local congregation decides to be "politically correct" is at Christmas. Amid all the hoopla of boycotting certain stores because their greeting is "Happy Holidays" not "Merry Christmas" and the endless emails criticizing those who have taken "Christ" out of Christmas, my church finds itself on the, shall we say, pagan side of the fence.

In my childhood, I was taught that since we don't exactly KNOW the specific date of Jesus' birth, we should not celebrate the event. Or better yet, celebrate it all year long. I often found myself arguing the point with my peers. Strangely, the very season that His name is mentioned most, and the world is opening doors of dialogue opportunity, we slam the door in their faces. Is it really so wrong to choose a day on our calendar to shift everyone's focus onto our Savior? The work has already been done for us. We don't even have to try to "sell" it. Just take advantage of it!

I found out this week that one "Christmas" song made its way into our worship schedule for Sunday, only to be taken out by those holding the power. It saddens me that a song taken directly from our standard book of hymns should be axed just because it's December.

But of course, we must be politically correct. Happy Holidays!

11 comments:

Amy said...

I want to say its stupid and the people that make a big deal about singing the songs get on my last nerve, but I don't think that is politically correct, so I won't say it. Why do we not sing these songs post or pre-Christmas?

Anonymous said...

What can I say? I don't understand the legalistic way this is being looked at. I hope my bulletin is not too Christmasy. I didn't mention Jesus, though. (except for the kids part)

Janet

Linda said...

Amen, sister!!

Daniel (DaPreacher) Peters said...

Sad Times.

Lisa said...

As my brother (who was a CofC minister for several decades) says, the rest of the world is celebrating the birth of Christ; why shouldn't we?

Here's how to get around it next year, or at least put "those in authority" on the spot: pick "Christmas" songs and sing them occasionally THROUGHOUT THE YEAR. Nothing unscriptural about Joy to the World in
April, or Hark the Herald Angels sing in July (after all, we know that is when Jesus probably was born). Then, why not in December?

Anonymous said...

"how did hymns ever become "Christmas songs"? I guess certain songs were only
sang at Christmas..but should have been sung year round..I wish we would sing
Silent night and O little town of Bethleham and others a lot more often.."

Nan

Anonymous said...

I guess I won't be able to give my money to the church since it has "in God we
trust." I wouldn't want to mix the secular money with church, it might offend
people ;)

Jennifer

Terry Rush said...

My Friend,

The Bible reveals Christ was born! Isn't it odd we can cover such, sing about such, and observe such eleven months out of the year...but not the 12th?

We are missing the evangelistic boat if we don't capitalize on this when the rest of the world is volunteering to be tied directly to our theme.

Our communities are in total ruin because there is no Christ for them. How awesome if they should visit us and find we love to sing in church what few songs they know too.

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Lita, I feel the same way. And haven't understood for quite some time why we can't go ahead and celebrate christ with the world. So we can't say it's his birthday....let's at least celebrate that the world (if for even a small amount of time) is recognizing Christ and the amazing story of his birth!
-Kristen

bailey said...

You should have been at our church on Sunday, we were all about the Christmas songs and are in a series right now called Three Births that Changed the World (jesus, ours and baptism). I agree, we need are missing something that the rest of the world is in on if we don't join in during this time of year and ask them to join us.

Brenda said...

Various time throughout the year I notice that we sing a Christmas song with our worship and it's not even December.....and I love it. I use to find it odd, but why reserve those songs just for that one time per year. Do those that took it out not sing a long when they hear those on the radio or in a store? We should be excited to sing songs about Christ all year long and the fact that the community as a whole knows those would be more the reason for me to sing those every chance I had.
You should come to our praise service tonight. You'd love it! :o)