Saturday, April 08, 2006

Sleepless in Tulsa

When was the last time I had a good night's sleep? Who knows, since I also suffer from memory loss. But seriously, I can't remember what it's like to sleep all night, to be awakened by the alarm, or to enjoy dreamless, deep sleep and wake up refreshed. I finally resorted to a prescription about a month ago--Lunesta. You know the ads--butterfly gently coming to rest on the peaceful sleeping woman. Lies, I tell you, all lies! I have to admit I slept "better" with the Lunesta, just not "good." But the adverse side affects were too much to bear, so the doc prescribed Sonata. First night with this "wonder drug" and I had a worse night of tossing & turning than without the medication. Time to take matters in my own hands. I have resolved to become caffeine-free. Didn't really think I ingested a great amount of caffeine anyway--2 cups of coffee in the morning, the occasional soda, iced tea and of course a treat of chocolate now and then. But I'm at the end of my rope, so to speak, and am willing to try anything. Knowing first hand about the "caffeine headache" I started yesterday by making my coffee with 1/2 regular and 1/2 decaf. Then no more caffeine the rest of the day. Yeah, I had a headache. And no, I didn't sleep well last night, but maybe slightly better than usual. Decided to go the same route today with the 1/2 and 1/2. Guess what? No headache today. Amazing. Maybe I'll cut back even more tomorrow. If anyone has any tried and true home remedies for insomnia, I welcome the feedback. Here's to a good night's sleep!

No comments: