Tuesday, November 13, 2007

New Life

There are wonderful things happening in our church. Neal has always had faith that it would happen. I have always been skeptical. There have been many times that I've begged to "transfer membership" but Neal has held firm. He was right. What blows me away is HOW things have changed. The radical change has been in ME.

The past few years I have tried to cram ideas into the heads of stubborn brothers and sisters. I've read books and listened to talk radio on the subject of LOVE being the "crux of the matter," all the while not realizing that MY love for them did not come from the heart. I wanted to challenge their views. I wanted them to have the same desire for our church. I wanted them to change. Why didn't I just listen to myself, and take my own advice?

Recently, probably for about a month, I've been praying for God to increase my love for Him and for my church family. Wow! He showed up big-time in answer to those prayers. I know that it's Him, because it's a completely different kind of love than I've ever known. I couldn't conjure up this kind of love by myself.

I have literally spent years trying to convince others of the insignificance of some of the minutia that was causing some of our battles. Yet there were some things that I felt strongly about that were anything but trivial....to me. What I've found is this. When you really love your brother, you can disagree an a myriad of ideas, and it's okay! We all have one thing in common, the most important thing....faith in a God that sent His only Son to die for our sins. When I started looking at my brothers and sisters as children of the King...individuals that Christ died for!.....it changed my whole outlook. Many of you who read this will be relieved that I finally got it. There is much wisdom in the phrase, "it all starts with me."

Last Friday night we had a Ladies' Retreat. First one in a verrrry long time. Forty-four women were there! Unbelievable. I think others are "getting it" too! Praise God!

1 comment:

Wilma said...

How exciting! It is so good to hear of your good news.