Friday, June 13, 2008

The Shack


With VBS over, I had time this week to read The Shack by William P. Young. Notes at the end of the novel suggest the reader take the time to comment on the book in various ways so I'll "review" the book on my blog.
Before reading the novel, I was under the impression that it was based on a true story. Although many truths are contained therein, it is obviously a work of fiction. Nevertheless, I was intrigued from the beginning and it was definitely a quick read. Without revealing the plot, I will just say that it is a unique experience in the theological mysteries of God and His desire for relationship with us. I found myself--even at the busiest times of my day--being drawn back to the book, most likely due to my desire for that relationship. It was absolutely captivating. I didn't want to stop reading, because I didn't want to leave the intimate presence of God. Whether Young's opinion of the interrelationship between the Father, Son and Holy Spirit is competely accurate, or simply his opinion, I feel I have a better understanding of the Trinity. I definitely came away with a greater peace about the chaotic world we live in and the presence of evil because of our choice of independence.
I recommend the book for open-minded, Bible-literate, Christians. It will leave a lasting impression on me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting comments.... glad you enjoyed and do hope you pass it on to a fellow journeyer. Something I don't think I ever shared.... the shack is a metaphor. It's place we must go to find God when we face struggles. You may also find it interesting to listen to a interview that Paul Young did. It basically is a testimony of why he wrote the book:
http://www.drewmarshall.ca/listen2008.html
(See the April 26th interview)
The last thing that also adds puzzle pieces of understanding is to read Young's own blog:
www.windrumors.com
I'm glad and humbled that you've met Papa in a new way.