Friday, June 12, 2009

Life with Jacob

Jacob spent the day with me on Wednesday.  He found the Magnetic Dress-Up Princess I bought for Lauren at a garage sale and wanted to try it out.  Sorry Jacob, this is yet another post for which you will curse me when you're 16.


It was hysterical to listen to him talk to himself about which crown, flowers and shoes she should wear with this gown.  When the ensemble was complete he held her up and said, "Does she look fablious?"  "Yes, Jacob....fablious."  Then, (sort of to himself), "and she's hawt."  Me: "She's hot?  What does that mean."  Jacob:  "It means she's beautiful."


We have a box full of beanie babies to take to Mexico, which provided hours of entertainment for Jacob.  He picked out several "beebee babies" that he wanted to adopt, and one for Piercen, one for Baylor, one for Garrison and a few for Lauren.  There were about six kittens, which reminded him of when I had kittens two years ago.  You mean he can remember things that happened when he was barely three?  Yep.  He reminded me, "you kept them outside...and they were Yankee and Sox."  Gasp!  "How did you remember their names?"  "Hmmm....maybe God told me."




Of course, we had to go for a swim.  Really my first time this year to get in the pool for any length of time.  I actually did much better treading water.  Don't know if it was all the great lessons from Terri last summer or just that I have additional fat this year that's helping me stay afloat.  Some people would think it such a waste for someone with a fear of drowning to own such a beautiful pool.  But as long as I have my noodle or kick board, I'm good.  Jacob dug the tropical fish out of the chest for us to play with.  The trick (for me) is to swim to them while they're still floating on top of the water.  Piece of cake.  But he threw one out too far and I watched it begin a slow descent into the deep, dark watery grave at the bottom of the pool.  "Go get it, Nana!" Now I have a dilemma.  Do I show fear to my grandson, who I want desperately to become a great swimmer, and leave that bright plastic fish on the floor of the pool, or do I bravely dive down and heroically rescue the fish, showing him that Nana is the bomb.  Here goes nothin'. Deep breath....dive straight down.  But alas, half way down, I begin to panic. I start thinking, "what if I drown?  My poor almost-5-year-old grandson will see his own grandmother lying at the bottom of the pool...lifeless...he'll start crying...then she'll start bloating and float to the surface...blue in the face...he'll be terrified!"  Thank you, God, for nets on long poles.  

Last night we wrapped up VBS with a slide show (sorry Jacob, there is no actual SLIDE at the cookout) and hotdogs and sno-cones.  Jacob talked me into letting him go home with Piercen and Baylor while we cleaned up.  Apparently the clean-up didn't take long enough, because when Papa, Lauren and I came to pick him up, he was not ready to be separated from his best friends.  Remember the footage of the little girl who's mother took her away from her adopted parents a few years ago?  The scene was much the same as we tried to pry Jacob away.  He was limp in my arms as I carried him to the car.  Sobbing, "Pieeeeercen....Baaaaaylor....
Pieeeeercen....Baaaaaylor...."  You would have thought we were DHS, stealing him away from his siblings.  Good times.

1 comment:

jessica said...

You guys have a safe trip. Take care of Janet for us:) We will be praying for you all.