Saturday, June 20, 2009

Third Trip to Monterrey

I've been trying to write this blog, off and on for several hours.  How do you describe this kind of experience?  It's very hard to put into words.  Each trip is better than the last.  We got home late last night from a very productive, very inspirational, very SAFE trip to Mexico.  This was my third trip to Monterrey and Santa Monica and the progress of the church building is coming along....slowly but surely.  There were 43 in our group (Sand Springs and Ft. Gibson) and around 40 others from Plainview & Ft. Worth, Texas and Nixa, Missouri.  As you can imagine, a ton of work was accomplished.  But even more satisfying was the growing friendships we're developing with our brothers and sisters in Mexico, as well as with each other.  Every trip is a new experience.  I learn more and more about building, resourcefulness, the talents of my fellow workers and the tender hearts of my fellow Christians.  I'm surprised at what I am able to do physically, and a little frustrated with what I CAN'T do.  I continue to work on my Spanish skills and feel more confident with each trip.  Here's a brief photo journal of our week in Mexico. 
We were greeted enthusiastically by the children in Nuevo Laredo when our bus pulled up to the church building Sunday morning.

After worship, Neal hands out beanie babies to the children.  

Work in progress: 

It's always good to learn a new skill.




Favorite part of the day!  Lunchtime!!!!!

Highlight of the week.  Joveta has been visiting the congregation in Santa Monica for about a year.  She was baptized on Wednesday at an Event Center across the road from where we are building.  The pool was very "icky" but with 100+ temps all week, there was no shortage of volunteers to do the baptism.


Last day--clean up (with baby wipes), a fresh shirt and some last minute photos before leaving.

Ramiro and me. 
He couldn't speak a lick of English, but we communicated quite well.  He always had a smile on his face and was ready to help.


"The Sand Springs Eight"


Me and my hubby, on the second floor of this monstrous building.



Sand Springs and Ft. Gibson
Time to leave....but not ready to leave.