Friday, September 03, 2010

We'll Miss You Admiral Twin

Today, Tulsa lost a beloved, historic landmark.  The monster, wood-framed screen of the old Admiral Twin Drive-In Theater (circa 1951) went up in flames around 2:00 this afternoon.  And with it...many memories.

You may remember it from scenes in "The Outsiders." 

But we remember it fondly as the place where our youngest--just recently out of diapers--pooped on his daddy's knee while being propped up to reach the toilet during one of many potty breaks.  Ahhh.  Good times.

Of course, there were lots of idiots who recklessly swerved across lanes of traffic and pulled off the highway to get a better view, and a few pictures.

Yes.  I was one of them.



You have to really use your imagination to make out the black, charred remains of the screen.  Way back there in front of the trees.  'Cause I just have a plain ole camera phone.

I tried cropping one of the pictures...


Yikes! Even worse.

You can see some of the photos that the really cool, hip, people with iPhones captured here.

See?  This is why I need an iPhone.

You knew I'd find some way to make this about me.

1 comment:

Lisa Shilts said...

I ALWAYS have camera in the car, usually in my purse; comes in very handy.