Monday, April 18, 2011

Last Supper

Terri and I went to Logan's Steakhouse Saturday night.  My dear, sweet, innocent, strong, brave friend is getting her first installment of braces on Tuesday.  It was exactly 7 years ago that I, too, was excited to undergo the same torture.  Unbeknownst to me, it would be 24 months before my next steak.  So I felt it my duty to not only warn her, but insist on sharing her last real meal.


Oh yes, my friend, chow down on the peanuts, because after Tuesday, it will not be worth the effort.


Angus beef, medium rare please.  Enjoy every morsel.  See the sour cream and butter on the baked potato?  Next week, you will be living on such.  Not the potato, mind you, but the sour cream and butter are a shoe-in.  Basically anything that requires absolutely no movement of the jaws.  Just swallowing.

You may think I'm cruel for pointing out all the disadvantages of braces.  But I, personally, like to know ahead of time what I'm in for.  Just tell me up-front, so I know what misery to expect.

I should've gotten a picture of your beautiful smile, which in 24 months will be even more beautiful. In the meantime, stock up on yogurt, ice cream, broth, and jello.  At least you don't have a grown son who will refer to you as "brace-face" for the next couple of years.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget milkshakes!!!!!