Monday, November 21, 2011

C'est fini

After almost 3 months, I'm finally wrapping up my European journal.  Do I hear a collective sigh of relief?

Friday was our last full day and we definitely did not waste it.  Grand finale--Versailles!

Here are just a few of the 87 photos I took at the home of Kings Louis XIV, XV & XVI:

Entering the palace...


The chapel...


The gardens....




I had a crick in my neck for days after staring at all these ceilings.  I was just starting to recover from The Louvre!

Awesome sculpture in the gardens...


Awesome o.j. for some hot and tired tourists...



We left Versailles to return to Paris for an early flight Saturday morning.  Our timing wasn't great, as we ended up in 5:00 traffic in Paris, with an empty gas tank.  But every misadventure turns into a great story.  I'm sure someone (Susan?) has pictures of our mighty leader begging various Parisiennes to use their credit card to buy our gas, and let him pay them in Euros.  The credit card story is another debacle.  The U.S. has GOT to get on board with the "chip" card!!!  That will be my next crusade.

Thus ends the great European adventure.  Ready to go back next year.  Who's with me?