Monday, June 11, 2012

Done!

Another household catastrophe has been averted.

Discovery of the leaking toilet and resulting rotted floor a little over a month ago was not welcome news.  Needless to say (but I'll say it anyway) we've sunk a lot of moo-lah into this money pit.

But thankfully, our insurance covered it and we've ended up with a beautiful new guest bath.

Before:

Not only was the toilet not sealed, but the bathtub drain connected to....


well....nothing.  So a little additional plumbing was in order.

Oh, and the sheet rock was ruined, so we had to take it down to the studs.


The big surprise was that there was actually insulation in those walls.  A farm house miracle.

Since we'd gone this far, I decided it was a great opportunity to add a shower.  Which entailed taking out the window to install a tub-surround.  Anyone need a perfectly good double-hung window?  It's in the tack room, in the barn.  Help yourself.


Oh yeah, and the vanity was so rotted that it fell apart when they removed it.  Lowe's is gonna love me.


The contractor hinted that if I ever thought about getting rid of the popcorn ceiling, this would be the perfect time.  I really did hate that popcorn ceiling.


Little did I know just how much work that would be. (four hours) But totally worth it.

After:


He only had to float 3 coats of mud on the ceiling to cover my less-than-perfect attempt at scraping. 


Guess I could've removed the trash can and straightened the towel for the photo shoot.



Look!  A shower head!  My out-of-town guests will be so happy that they're not limited to baths (or sharing my shower).

Hopefully no more major projects for the next couple of years.  I'm exhausted.




2 comments:

Just wondering... said...

Oh, Lita! It is beautiful...glad it's completed!

Anonymous said...

I love it. Can't wait to complete mine!