Saturday, October 27, 2007

Lauren's Turn


I've written about my conversations with Jacob, but wanted to give Lauren equal time as she is beginning to say words as well. Her vocabulary consists of: uh-oh, thank you, peek-a-boo, bye-bye, mama, dada, and doggie. Maybe more, I'm not sure. Of course, not all her words are pronounced perfectly, but you know what she's saying. If you ask her a question to which the answer is affirmative, she nods her head so dramatically that she almost topples over. I had the pleasure of spending the night with her and Jeremy last night. Trista was on a business trip and Jacob had decided to stay with his other grandmother (what?! give up a chance to be with Nana??!!). Jeremy wanted to go hunting early this morning, so it was me and Lauren. This is my chance to experience what I missed by not having a daughter. It's like playing dolls--giving her a bath, browsing through her infinite selection of clothes and deciding what she should wear. Choosing a bow that would sort of match (I was never good at accessorizing). Fun stuff. After our breakfast date with Janet, we came back to my house for playtime and nap.

Jeremy was saying how different Lauren and Jacob are. Simply put her in the crib and she quietly drifts off to sleep. If she fusses a little during the night, no problem, she goes right back to sleep. Wakeup time is also pleasant, as she will play and talk in her bed until someone comes to get her. Very unlike Jacob, who required being rocked into a deep, comatose-like sleep and gingerly placed in bed, or allowed to wail for an hour before finally resorting to the "co-sleeping" arrangement. I have to wonder, are the kids that different, or are they parenting differently? Hmmmmm.

1 comment:

jessica said...

With us I know it was parenting differently. Jacob and Lauren sound a lot like Jack and Jennah. After teaching all the same bad habits you talked about to Jack we didn't have the time or energy to do the same with Jennah. Then when Joel came we kind of reverted back to the same old bad habits.