Monday, September 12, 2011

Europe: The Food

Six countries in 10 days will require multiple posts.  If this bores you, or you're just plain jealous, I'll get back to the daily ho-hum eventually.

I'm dedicating this entire post to the FOOD.  Which, of course, is what vacation is all about, right?  I mean, the sole purpose of our trip to Maine in a couple of weeks is to eat lobster.

For the record, I've had Belgian Chocolate, German Chocolate and Swiss Chocolate.  I ate Swiss Cheese in Switzerland, Belgian Waffles in Belgium, Schveinschnitzel and Apple Struedel in Germany, and French Fries in France.

Our mantra was "be adventurous" and the Dallas airport was officially our kick-off meal. So we started off with a platter of oysters on the half-shell.

Don't let her kid you.  She loved them so much, Greg and I had to fight for our share.

Mushroom and cheese crepe in Paris.
Dinner in Paris at Neva.

Appetizer.  They love their bread and cheese, as do I, which may explain my post-trip constipation.
 
Main course - Monk Fish.


 Belgian waffles in Maledy, Belgium

 Cheese plate at home of Frerot's, Verviers, Belgium

 Part of "light lunch" at Frerot's


Pizza with Frerot's in Belgium 

Buffet lunch at Dubai Restaurant in Luxembourg

 Salad and Schveinschnitzel in Kehl, Germany

Escargots in Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland 

 Farmer's Rosti (a traditional Swiss dish) Yummy!

 and dessert!

 Coffee at Schilthorn (Piz Gloria) Revolving Restaurant

 Salami and cheese (swiss of course) at Wengen, Switzerland

 Dinner in Lauterbrunnen - onion soup, and some kind of pork (I think)

And the finale.......

Our last meal in France (not counting the free food in the Executive Lounge of the Hilton)....

I have no idea what this is, we didn't order it, but each got a dish with these three items. Apparently to cleanse your palate before dining....

Mustard soup.  Not my fave.

Entree.  Something spongy and fishy. Not a fan.

When you order "avec fromage," that doesn't mean "smother my entree with cheese."  It means you get a separate course of cheeses and breads of your choice.

I thought this was dessert.  Melon, gelatin, chocolate.

Maybe this is dessert?

This MUST be dessert.

Finally.  Dessert!

Of course, there was lots of snacking and free breakfasts, and Coke.  Dinners were usually what I consider late...8:30-9:00ish.  Most of the time, we all ordered something different and did lots of sharing. Loved all the breads and cheese.  And chocolate, of course.  Just now getting back into the gym routine and have a feeling I'll be paying for this for awhile.

2 comments:

Wilma said...

What a variety of foods!

Jeanette Livingston said...

Fun & Delicious!!!!