Monday, January 14, 2008

Weekend

So...Jeff and I had planned to go to Louisiana with a group from his church on Friday and Saturday, but canceled due to the water pipe bursting in his house. As it turns out, the Claims Adjuster can't meet with him until tomorrow, so we're disappointed about canceling, but it also allowed us to attend Jeremy's surprise 30th birthday party on Saturday night. Trista had invited some close friends and family to surprise Jeremy for dinner at In the Raw. Sushi is something I've carefully avoided all my life. There have been opportunities to try it, but I've always wimped out. The mere fact that Trista (who handed down her food phobias to our grandson, Jacob) likes it, was a huge factor in my brief surge of bravery. To emphasize the extent of my bravery (or should I say, temporary insanity) I allowed my not-afraid-to-try-anything niece, Morgan, to order for me. I have no clue what all I bombarded my digestive system with that night, but I managed not to gag or throw up in my napkin. However, In the Raw will not grace my list of favorite restaurants, and I can't imagine craving sushi anytime soon. The good news is that Jeremy was indeed surprised. It was fun celebrating with him and enjoying family and friends.

My birthday gift to Trista, whose birthday was on the 9th, was taking the kids to spend the night with me on Saturday night and keeping them until 4:30 Sunday afternoon. So, you know that in that length of time, there has to be some noteworthy conversations with Jacob. He likes to eat Yogurt Burst Cheerios for a snack, but he picks out the pink ones and leaves the plain. Lauren decided she wanted some, too, so as I poured a bowl for her he informed me that, "Sissy doesn't like the pink ones." Guess he thought I would take her pink ones and give them to him, but Nana's too savvy for that. Sunday after lunch at Mazzios (with the help of Uncle Jeff--I'm not Super-Nana) I put Lauren down for a nap and Jacob and I retreated to the game room to watch MicroCosmos, a non-animated video, chock full of upclose and personal encounters with every insect you can imagine. I put the movie in the VCR, then asked Jacob if he wanted to lay on the couch to watch the movie. His answer, "That's not a good idea, Nana." (Later, during the 2nd viewing of said movie, he did lay on the couch with me and immediately fell asleep, hence the reason for that NOT being a good idea.) As we played in the game room, he asked, "Where's Uncle Jeff?" Me: "In the house with Lauren, watching a football game." Jacob: "Does he gots he's eyes closed?" Me: "Probably." Jacob: "We better go check." My exercise ball is in the game room (not getting much use, I might add) and Jacob loves to play with and on it. He put it in a big box which kept it stabilized--pretty genius, I thought. Then he stood on it trying to keep his balance. I listened as he talked to himself...."better be ca'ful, better be ca'ful..(losing balance and almost falling) see...I told you."






Jeff and Lauren "watching the football game"

No comments: