Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Role Reversal

I've heard it said that at some point in our lives, roles will reverse and our parents will become like our children, and we will become as their parents. I just didn't realize how soon that would happen.

The last few days have not been great. Yesterday, in particular, was not a good day for me. I'll give you a few of the low points.

1. Something said at Small Group Sunday night that tied my stomach in knots.

2. Neal didn't call at his regular time Monday night. A sure sign that he was playing softball against my advice.

3. I ran out of propane AGAIN yesterday.
a. Thirty-five days ago I bought 300 gallons ($600.00) and bought another 300 gallons yesterday ($735.00). This can't be right.
b. I've called an insulation company to come today and check out the attic insulation.
c. The house fills with smoke when I burn wood in the fireplace. A chimney sweep is scheduled to come on Monday.

4. A harsh email from a fellow church member. (She called to apologize last night.)

5. My friend's brand new grandson was admitted to the hospital last night with severe jaundice.

6. After working on my taxes for a week, I'm still not finished and rather frustrated that the goverment makes it so difficult.

Oh, to have the attitude of Terry Rush on days like these.

So.....last night I called Jeff to see when he was planning to come home, and would he please stop at Braum's and pick me up a brownie fudge sundae (my ultimate comfort food). He asked why, and fighting the urge to say, "cause I'm your mom and I said so," I told him I'd had a bad day. In an eerily parental tone, he advised me that I really didn't want a brownie fudge sundae..."remember the pooch belly you're trying to get rid of?"...why didn't I just run a hot bath, light some candles and brew a cup of tea--with milk (Canadian-style), and talk to my "daddy" (a name he calls God when he wants to pour out his troubles to Him). Talk about turning the tables on me. Am I already in need of my children giving me advice?

No comments: