Monday, July 14, 2008

Mexico Mission - Day 4...Back to Work

Tuesday, June 24

I worked super hard the first day, because I was sure my body would resist this new torture and I wouldn't be able to get out of bed this morning. Much to my amazement, and thanks be to God, I was up at 6:00 and pulling on my work clothes and looking for my leather gloves. Several of us met for breakfast in the hotel lobby, preparing for another day on the chain gang. Now that we have an idea of what our day will be like, we are not shy about eating hearty. Today, instead of digging holes and trenches, we are filling in holes where concrete has dried. Dig a hole....fill the hole, hmmmm. I also took a break from shoveling to measure and cut rebar for awhile. At about 11:00 we can small our lunch cooking--YUMMMM! Wow, that last hour before lunch is a KILLER!






Our cooks! Senoras y senoritas bonita!













Como se dice "supervisor"?

"Just a little more on the left, Janet....good job, Michelle."





After dinner at Applebees, we enjoyed a wonderful devo with Ft. Gibson & Dewey. At the end of the devo, Edgar and 4 other Mexican brothers and sisters sang for us in beautiful harmony. Even though I only caught a word here and there, it was still very inspirational and, to no one's surprise, I had to wipe the tears from my eyes...probably a combination of exhaustion and spiritual awakening. The Spanish phrase for today is "Para El" -- "For Him". After raising all the money to get to Mexico, and paying for our stay, and paying for our supplies to build a church building in Santa Monica, and giving money to keep Rick Owens' ministry successful, it could be easy for us to forget why we are on this trip, or maybe take some of the credit for "our" success. "to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus..." Eph. 3:21 "PARA EL"

I'm starting to feel guilty about the 5-star hotel where we are staying. The people living in the vicinity of the job site live in--what should I call them--they're not even shacks--just some tin and wood, no running water, no air conditioning. Many sleep on their roofs to stay cool and, in fact, there is a mattress on the roof of the temporary building at the job site. Wonder who's sleeping there tonight? However, we get to take hot showers, flush the toilets and adjust the temperature in our rooms to a cool 68 degrees, then crawl between fresh, white, soft linens. Muchos gracias, Dios.

1 comment:

jessica said...

Reading your stories makes me so excited to go to Honduras in October. What was the name of the tutorial spanish you used and was is helpful?