Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Mexico Mission - Day 6...Cornerstone

Thursday, June 26

This morning we had to be packed, loaded and checked out of our rooms by 7:00 a.m. Our 4th and final day on the job and Lita is STILL WORKING. Incredible! I started the work day with Janet, pounding bent metal bars to be used for wrapping re bar. Not a bad job...we took turns swinging the hammer and found it to be very therapeutic--plus we found a nice place in the shade for our task--BONUS! Janet didn't trust me and preferred hammering while I held the bar...porrrrr que? (That was a "rolling r"...Michelle can't roll her r's....but she can roll her tongue....so can I...we learned a lot about each other on this trip...but I'm rambling...or should I say rrrrrambling...okay, okay, enough.) Just as we were getting a good rhythm going, the whole gang was summoned for "brick brigade." Stacks and stacks of cinder blocks had to be moved from the front of the property to individual piles spaced out the length of the site. The troops lined up and started passing. The job was done in quick order and Janet and I returned to our little place in the shade, only to find someone else had stolen our assignment. What's up with that?! Well, guess it's back to the rock pile for me. That's fine, I've got this job down to an art. It was an emotional moment when Glenn Elliott had the honor of laying the cornerstone.

At lunch, Rick Owens talked to the group and expressed his gratitude for all that we had accomplished. He reminded us that the results of our work, along with many other volunteer groups, and of course, our magnificent God, would endure for years to come. After lunch and many group photos, we headed to the border, which this time was a relative breeze compared to our first experience. Paco met us there with Dewey's trailer and after the luggage exchange, we placed our sights on New Braunfels, Texas. We arrived at Motel 6 very, very late and the girls again allowed me the first shower. They went to mingle with the other young'uns from Ft. Gibson, Dewey and SS and I went to bed! Have no idea when they came back to our room...I just know they were in their beds when I woke up at 8:00 the next morning. (I'm such a conscientious chaperon.)

No comments: