Thursday, July 03, 2008

Mexico Mission - Day 1...Driving

Saturday, June 21, 2008
Thirteen of us from Sand Springs joined 15 from Dewey, OK and about 44 from Ft. Gibson, OK on this trip to Mexico. Even though Janet made the comment today--"these Texans won't let us in just 'cause we're from Arkansas"--we really are all from Oklahoma (that must have been a previous life, Janet). Knowing we had a long drive ahead of us, we voted to leave EARLY. Amazingly enough, we had the rental van and trailer loaded and were leaving Sand Springs around 4:00 a.m.
After thirteen hours of off-and-on semi-sleep, travel Yahtzee, eating breaks, "circle of life" stops (that's when you stop to go to the bathroom and buy a bottle of soda or water, which leads to another bathroom stop and more soda and water, etc., etc.) and endless adjustments of the temperature and vents, we arrived in Laredo, Texas. We checked into the Marriott, cleaned up and went to Logan's Steak House for dinner. Afterwards, some went shopping, while others opted to go back to the hotel. Since I'm rooming with three 18 & 19 yr. olds, I decided this might be my only chance at the bathroom, so I went back to the room and had a leisurely shower. I'm rooming with Michelle (18), Kiley (18) and Amy (19)--"my girls." Michelle must have drawn the short straw, as she is my bed partner. By the time they returned to the room, I was already in bed and had begun to doze off. But I still heard Michelle laughing at the wall of pillows I had built between my side and hers.






Kristen...riding backwards and reading...I'd be sick as a dog.






Dare-devil Terri risks her life after Joel reads a warning on her pillow, "Do not use for sleeping purposes. For decorative use only." Oh, Terri, you're a brave, brave woman!

With very little room to stretch out on the seats, Kiley takes to the floorboard.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You don't have to tell everything that happened on the trip. (surely I didn't say anything about Arkansas!) Remember what was said in Mexico, stays in Mexico.

Janet

Anonymous said...

YOu could have lost my picture! But I am glad to say that I survived many close calls with the decorative pillow!
Terri