Saturday, January 24, 2009

Beans, Beans....

Neal LOVES pinto beans and cornbread. I also have a fondness for the culinary delicacy, but for some reason, I seldom make this meal. Maybe it's 'cause I know the effect it has on Neal's digestive system...if you know what I mean. And it's hard enough to get a good night's sleep without having to stay in a semi-wakefulness state in order to keep the covers tucked in tight around my neck. Last night, I made the best pot of beans EVER. I added a meaty ham bone and fresh garlic and the results were tres magnifique! However, I can't even hear the word "beans" without memories flooding in from the distant past. When the boys were little, Neal (the cultural enthusiast that he is) introduced them to the classic poem "Beans, beans, the wonderful fruit...the more you eat....." ...well...you know the rest.

On a visit to my grandmother's, with my parents present, we sat down to a meal and what did Grandma set on the table? That's right. A huge pot of beans. Neal and I both did the old "head jerk" and saw the boys' eyes light up in joy and anticipation. As Jeremy opened his mouth and began..."Dad! Beans, beans.." Neal, with fear in his eyes seemed to be in slow motion with his lips forming the word "NOOOOOOO" but the voice not cooperating. Ahhh. Good times!

4 comments:

Barbie said...

All sounds so familiar to my ears. Somehow your stories about Neal are so like mine about Richie. Funny.

JeanetteLivingston said...

cute boys, ahhh the memories of having a house full of males. :-)

Shelly Collins said...

What cutie pies. Oh that song, it's impossible to live with boys and not have it ingrained in your brain!

Unknown said...

Well, our song was somewhat different!
Beans, beans, good for your heart. The more you eat, the more you .... The more you .... the better you feel. So eat beans for every meal.
Just had to share this with you, too.

Cute boys, btw
Caren