Friday, October 30, 2009

Super Mom

I should either get the Mom of the Year award, or I'm totally insane.

I was gone a good portion of the week, so I planned to spend the day (after sleeping in 'til 9) getting my house back in order, doing laundry, then working out. Neal had planned a weekend out west to hunt and I had planned a quiet evening at home...maybe with a pizza.

My oldest son called around 10:30 for a favor. Could I go to his house and put his laundry (hunting clothes) in the dryer? Just a small diversion from my schedule. My youngest son called around noon to tell me his "friend" was coming over tonight to watch a movie and could I cook dinner? Hmmm. What is it that keeps me from saying, "No, that doesn't really fit into my schedule today."? Oh, and could I make chicken and rice and could we eat at 7:00? Well, of course sweetie, whatever you want.

Chicken boiled, house presentable, at 3:00 I head to the gym. Phone rings. Youngest son. "Where are you?" "On my way to the gym." "Well, it's too windy to hunt, so I asked if she wanted to come earlier and she said yes." "Okay. But I can't have chicken and rice ready 'til 7." Yay me. I put my foot down, right?

Janet and I shorten our workout slightly, so that I can get home and get cookin'. I start to leave the gym and look for my keys, which I left hanging on the key rack. There's only one set of keys...and they aren't mine. I look quizzically at the girl at the desk and say, "I'm sure I left my keys here, I remember swiping my key fob." Her eyes become the size of saucers and I hear a quiet, "oops" slip out of her mouth.

Get this. Someone had called saying she thought she left her keys there and described them. Honda key, Homeland key card, one key has yellow key ID band--perfect description of my keys. She sends her boyfriend to pick them up. Now I'm stuck at the gym with no keys, gym personnel have no idea who the member was that called (you mean to tell me that in 2009 there are still businesses without caller i.d.?) and a disconnected phone number for the man that is now in possession of my keys. Janet and I do some sleuthing, and track down the man with my keys (long story) and I rush home in time to get dinner in the oven and take a shower. Dinner served promptly at 7:00. Okay 7:20.

And the "friend" was delightful, by the way. Hope she wasn't too horrified at the visible mousetraps and the fact that Jeff had to disappear with the pellet gun to dispose of the one caught in the live trap. Thankfully, she grew up in the country. Yes! *High Five*

3 comments:

Terry Rush said...

Do you know what I like about you?

You can get yourself into more fixes and come out smelling like a rose...or a dead mouse...whichever!

Way to go my friend! You seem to have no dull life!

I wonder how many comments this one will rake in!

I can't stay long.

Anonymous said...

The Blevins blog is always good entertainment!

-Melanie

JeanetteLivingston said...

Oh yes...you get a mother of the year award. You are amazing.