Tuesday, October 13, 2009

What's a Woman to Do?

For those of you who stopped by to get a chuckle, I apologize. This is one of those times that I just need to journal my feelings.

For a long time, I've struggled with the role of women in the church.  At one time, I just felt like we got the raw end of the deal.  Much of the time I'm relieved that the responsibilities fall on the men.  I vacillate.  For years, it didn't really matter what I thought, because all churches seemed to agree, and the women were relegated to teaching Sunday School and planning VBS. But times...they are a changin'.

I'll admit, the first time I attended a service where a woman read scripture and a couple of the communion servers wore high heels, I fidgeting in my pew.  Is that really okay?  More to the point...why is it okay for a woman to read scripture at the 9:30 hour, but not the 10:30 hour? And why is it okay--even expected--for a woman to pass the trays sitting down, but not standing up?

Recently, I was the only woman at "Prayer Night" along with 4 men.  We discussed prayers that God had answered and spiritual needs of our congregation that we would be praying for later in the evening.  I brought up a few items to put on the list and discussed freely and openly with the men what would be included in our prayers.  I even took notes to bring to the next meeting, for the sake of efficiency.  Women are good at that.  When it was time to get down to business, the list was divided between the 4 men.  I can speak ABOUT prayer, but can't actually PRAY out loud?  They can't listen to a woman addressing God?

Just wondering.

6 comments:

Jenny said...

That does seem odd about a Tuesday night prayer group that you weren't allowed to pray aloud too. I feel very blessed to attend the church that I do because I don't feel the pull back of women that I did growing up. Men are expected to help with Sunday school classes, VBS and women have even "led" some of our LG meetings! I still feel uneasy about the 'big worship' on Sunday morning and are fine that women aren't in a leader role there, but am grateful to feel that our voices and leadership skills are still important.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Roger and Sandra said...

You go girl! It's way past time for the inconsistencies and the proof texting and the poor interpretation be exposed to the light of day. It never ceases to amaze me how some things in scripture are interpreted as cultural and other things become doctrine.... especially when it's in the same letter, written to the same church by the same author ie. head covering & silence in assemblies. I have come to the place where I feel that to a large degree the entire religious community needs to apologize to women for often stifling the Spirit's work in your lives.

JeanetteLivingston said...

Hmmm very frustrating...keep fightin' girl.

Terry Rush said...

Do you know what I like about you? You mean this as a critical study with explanation rather than from an egotistical axe to grind.

You are one of the humblest servants, my friend. You raise good and simple questions....even in areas where I still struggle.

To ask the questions will surely lead to a better understanding for us all.

You bless me!

Lisa said...

Please figure it out for us soon, Lita! This is the main question that split my church from a whopping 70 down to, oh, maybe 32 on a good Sunday. So much harm done for the wrong reasons. I truly believe it can be very simple; let us all be servants and do what we feel is right for us.

Roger and Sandra said...

BTW some further reading that may be helpful can be found here:

http://www.troychurch.net/articles

See the articles:
One Church's Journey
Women's Role In The Church