Thursday, November 19, 2009

Down with Blankets

Ever since the construction began on the IDL, (when was that? July?) my detour has taken me past this green space on the east side of downtown. Tulsa has done a good job over the last decade or so, beautifying the city, thanks in part to the program "Up With Trees."
However.....here's my beef. You knew there would be one, didn't you?

Every work day I drive past this blanket/sleeping bag(?) hanging on the fence. Each day the rips are a little bigger and more and more stuffings are slowly making their way out of their confines and mingling with nature.


This particular green space has an "Up With Trees" sign that says, "In memory of Dewitt L. Potter."
I know it's blurry, I was fighting construction traffic while taking these photos. But trust me, that's what it says.

Now, I hope that if I were a family member of poor Dewitt (may he rest in peace), I would occasionally "tend" to the area I sponsored in his name. I don't think Dewitt would be too proud of the hanging blanket.

Up with trees. Down with blankets. Four months is too long.

5 comments:

Linda said...

Maybe it's a blanket from a homeless person who sleeps under that bridge and hangs his blanket on the fence every day to let it air out. Don't take his blanket away!!!

Unknown said...

Linda, if it is, he puts it in exactly the same spot at the exact same angle, with the exact same overhang. Very meticulous. I'd be happy to buy him a new one.

Anonymous said...

I could tell you were very cranky while taking these pictures. Surely it didn't have anything to do with the 63 minute drive home!:)

Janet

Terry Rush said...

Did you ever stop to think how the blanket got there? It came from the Blanket Angels for their SITTL project.

Sure. I've read about them. They originated in Mexico. Blanket Angels are now all over America. They visit cities with orange barrels and traffic jams.

Blanket Angels (they meet usually in Methodist church basements) is an organization for the purpose of draping blankets over fences to give people stuck in traffic a photo shot. That's it. It breaks S.I.T.T.L. (short for Stuck In Traffic Too Long.)

I've heard of them for years; but never knew anyone who had been blessed by them...'til you!

Unknown said...

Very imaginative - I love it!!!