Sunday, November 01, 2009

The Masks We Wear

I had to start this post with my grandkids, Darth Vader and the Wicked Witch. They love dressing up and being something entirely different from Jacob and Lauren.

The Masks We Wear was the subject of this morning's sermon and front page bulletin article. How appropriate.

"...often times we pretend to be something we are not. We act as if we are more competent than we are, more "together" than we are, more able than we are, or more right than we are."
-Elliott Dunn (pulpit minister, SSCoC)

What's that? Was he just looking at me? I wear the mask well. It fits perfectly.

How can you "mourn with those who mourn" (Rom. 12:15-16) unless I remove the mask and let you know I am mourning? How can you "pray for each other" (James 5:16) unless I remove the mask and let you know I am struggling? ("confess your sins to each other" same verse.)

During the sermon, I couldn't help but consider how we are partially to blame for others wearing the mask. For instance, before services began, I was sitting in the pew preparing my contribution check. Another member walked in front of me and said, "Smile! Be happy!" I obliged. Now, admit it, it would have been pretty weird for me to have been sitting there alone, concentrating on writing a check, with a huge smile plastered across my face.

Can we not allow each other to have serious moments, to be discouraged, to be sad? Not only do we wear masks, but life is simpler when everyone else is wearing a mask. We assemble together to be encouraged, but is it all superficial? We want everyone to put on their happy faces so things don't get messy.

I confess. I'm guilty of both. I wear the mask. And I'm probably responsible for others wearing the mask.

2 comments:

Terry Rush said...

Lita,

I was going to comment on this post as it is so powerful. But I've decided not to because I don't want people to think I comment everytime you write something.

Thus, I keep my mask of not commenting on.

Unknown said...

Lita, I love this post! I couldn't help but think of how many times I have tried to "help" others but saying 'smile, it will be ok' knowing all the while that a smile is a mask and no, it won't be ok, but rather, it will suck. But God is there with us to get us through those times.
I am not one to wear a mask very often, I show every emotion. But I am surely responsible for others wearing their's. Possibly because I am so upfront with my feeling others don't have an opportunity to shed their masks.
OK, OK I should post my own blog!!! Sorry about that. Loved your post!
Caren