Tuesday, June 07, 2011

A Word to All the Sun Goddesses Out There

Had my first (and hopefully last) basal cell carcinoma removed today.  Was I nervous?  Scared. To. Death.  But not about the knife.

I looked in the mirror last night and was horrified to see that I had a wee bit of a sunburn.  What!?!  My dermatologist is going to KILL me!  But in all fairness (no pun intended), when it's 97 degrees and there's a big honkin' pool in your back yard...IT'S HARD Y'ALL!!!!   Seriously.  I tan fairly easily.  Rarely burn. And with age maturity, I have been very diligent about applying plenty of sunscreen.  I really can't imagine how it happened.  My back ITCHED all day.  A constant reminder of my sin.

Anyway, I confessed to the nurse and prayed the doctor would take it easy on me.  If she noticed, she didn't mention it.  Maybe she didn't want to pour salt in the wound--so to speak.  When the doc stepped out, the nurse whispered, "I think you might get by with it."

When I got home this afternoon, I got a mirror out to get a closer look at the burn.  It's a stinkin' rash!  Heat rash?  Hives?  Allergic reaction?  Who would know?  Oh yeah.  Maybe a DERMATOLOGIST!  If only I hadn't been a wimp and just fessed up, maybe she could have looked at it and prescribed something for me.  Sheesh!  Live and learn.  Live. And. Learn.

No comments: