Sunday, October 30, 2011

Battle of the Bulge

I can't seem to stay home long enough to finish posting my European trip. So this post is coming to you live, from Canada.  Try to keep up.

While visiting the Frerot's in Belgium, we took a drive to Bastogne, which is practically on the border of Belgium and Luxembourg.  It's home to a war memorial dedicated to the American soldiers who were killed in the Battle of the Bulge in 1944.

Seeing the name of our great state engraved on this monument was really quite emotional.



Over 3000 American soldiers are buried here.

An eternal friendship was forged between the American and Belgium people in their common fight against the enemy of all free people.



With a great sense of gratitude, Jean-Marie stated, "If not for the Americans, we would be speaking German today."

So I am thankful for the involvment of the U.S. and the sacrifice of these soldiers.  My French may be weak, but my German vocabulary is non-existent.


No comments: