Saturday, October 15, 2011

No Autographs, Please

In utter desperation, the MDCOC co-ed softball team needed an emergency substitute. SC asked if I had ever played softball.  Yeah, some 20-odd years ago, for a ragtag team that never won a game.  Great, he said, I'll put you on the list.  (Lita, Lita, Lita, when will you ever learn to JUST SAY NO?)

So I got the text around 3:00 p.m. -- You're On!  To which I replied -- Crap!

Obviously God did not see fit to answer my Plan A prayer for the ailing player to recover. Now for the Plan B prayer, "Please don't let me fracture a bone or throw my shoulder out or make a total fool of myself."

Being the oldest player on the team, I got to choose my fielding and batting positions. Right field, batting 10th.  Also, due to my oldest player status, I did not get heckled.  At least if I did, I couldn't hear it...one of the perks of getting old.

The first team had too many lefties, and I was forced to field the ball.  I could hear the screams, "home, home, home!"  Are you kidding me????  It's 17 miles from right field to home.  I'll just throw the ball as far as I can and hope it lands closer to the diamond than it was when it left my hand.

I was actually on base several times (thanks SC for the free walk).  At one point, I was standing on 3rd and my coach's instructions included:  "run as fast as you can, and if you flail your arms, you'll scare the catcher."  That shouldn't be much of a departure from my typical running style.

So, all in all, I think it was a pretty good night.  I had fun, which seems to be the ultimate goal of the team.  And I didn't have to curl up in a fetal position in the crater in right field. Bonus--I was able to get out of bed this morning.

Now.  If I just had someone to lift my coffee cup and bring me some Advil.



3 comments:

Jeanette Livingston said...

We are in north La. for a Livingston family reunion and I got recruited to play kick ball. So I totally feel your pain or will tomorrow morning. Send the Advil this way....

Wilma said...

Lita, Lita, Lita, when will you learn to just say "NO"?

Lisa Shilts said...

Todd wants to know if they asked you to wear a helmet. Because of your hair. I KNOW! I KNOW! I promised I would stop with the hair jokes, but this was too funny . . .