Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Day 10

This is officially day TEN in the dark. Our Electric Coop is projecting restoration of power today. I'm on pins and needles. Although we have been without electricity and phone service for 10 days, it is actually only MY 3rd day. I returned from the balmy Galveston Bay area on Monday afternoon, in time for my brother-in-law and neighbor to hook up my brand-spankin-new Yamaha generator. Sooooo....I shouldn't complain. But I will. :-) The generator is a huge hassle. Being new, the oil had to be changed after the first 5 hours....10:00 p.m. to be exact. And every 20 hours thereafter. A tank of gas will last approximately 12 hours. Since I am somewhat (who am I kidding), since I am very mechanically challenged, this is no easy task. Lucky for me, I have my 27 year old son with me who is, can I say, a little less challenged in that area. (Mechanical Engineering was not on the list of requirements for his Art degree.) We...errr...he managed to get the oil changed and topped it off with gas before turning in for the night. We restarted the generator--nothin to it. But alas, no electricity in the house. Are you kidding me? I check the breakers, check the connection to the breaker panel, nothing seems amiss. Time to call my trusty neighbor, Alan. Super Alan to the rescue! After only a few minutes he discovered that the plug that attaches to the generator itself had come loose, duh! Next morning, Jeff and I fill it up with gas again and Jeff goes off to feed his dogs while I restart the generator. After about 15 pulls on the crank I thought my stinkin arm was gonna fall out of its socket. JEFFFFFFFF!!!!!! As Jeff walks up he looks at the machine and rolls his eyes as he flips the power switch to the ON position. "Mom, it has to be turned ON before it will start." Later that morning, I trudge off to "town" to fill up both of my 5-gallon gas cans. Not easy to lift those suckers into the back of the SUV, but I'm tough and manage quite nicely. But it's another thing to pick one of those full cans up and try to fill the tank without losing more gas than is finding it's mark. Speaking of Mark--Super Alan's son comes to my aid yesterday afternoon to refill the tank. This morning I'm determined to take care of this myself. My newest gas can has a nifty spout on it that remains closed until making contact with the rim of the gas tank. To my chagrin, the seal had either frozen and split over night, or I didn't re-attach it correctly when I filled it, but in any case, gas sloshed all over the top of the generator and I thought I'd never get the dad gum spout in the hole! As Jeff finishes feeding the dogs he saunters over to evaluate my performance and casually says, "I think the gas goes IN the tank, not ON the tank." Thanks for those words of wisdom, Jeff.


The generator seems to be doing a fine job running most of the house, but we are being very conservative so as not to trip any breakers. Therefore, at night we are still using the oil lamps and besides the refrigerator, we are only using one appliance at a time. In Trista's words, "I will cry tears of joy if our power is restored today!"

No comments: