Friday, December 14, 2007

Say It Ain't So......

While my hometown is still reeling from the ice storm, Houston is reeling from the Mitchell Report. The Rocket, Houston's pride and joy, surely could not be on this list of shame. While my first reaction was one of absolute belief and disappointment, I've decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. Even though there is no apparent plan to bring legal convictions against these guys, the mere fact that it could keep Clemens out of the Hall of Fame is devastating. Because he immediately hired an attorney and is VEHEMENTLY denying these accusations, I think (hope) that it is truly a vendetta aimed at bringing others down with the one who is already in hot water. If it is true.......what can I say? I think back to Jeff's college baseball days and remember so many of the players in the NCAA who had such a huge physical advantage over him. He was teased incessantly (all in good fun) about his size. Recently, on a trip to Lincoln, he went to the practice field where one of his coaches saw him in the bleachers and yelled, "Blev! The best 165 pound, switch-hitting third baseman ever to play for the Huskers!" Following Jeff in his college career allowed us to hear many hecklers--but the best hecklers in the Big 12 have to be at Texas Tech. Since Jeff was hitting .477 when they made their trip to Lubbock, the hecklers had to be very creative when it was his turn to bat. They came up with my very favorite in the 4 years he played college ball. "Hey Blev! Did ya leave your cows at home.......and your CALVES, too????" Even HE had to step out of box and have a little chuckle. (Who says they never hear what's said in the stands?) All that to say this. It just makes the moment Jeff hit a home run in the 2002 College World Series a little bit sweeter, knowing that it was his God-given talent and ability, without the help of performance-enhancing drugs.

2 comments:

Terry Rush said...

Lita,

Good stuff, again. Will you be disappointed in me if it should come out that on occasion I have been on Altoids?

I hope not. My throat was on the disabled list at the time!

Love you!

Unknown said...

Terry,

Personally, (and others can back me up) I think you should CONTINUE on the Altoids. The benefits far outweigh the risks.