Sunday, December 16, 2007

Heading Home

Am I crazy? I'm going to drive back to Iceland...errr, Oklahoma tomorrow. No, we still don't have power at our house. I've gotten three different dates as to when to expect electricity...December 21... December 23...December 24. No one has the guts to say "the 25th or sometime thereafter." But, here I go, back to the north, with my SUV packed with a generator, 5-gallon gas can and 2 chain saws. Why go from relative comfort to a cold, dark house? Because my family will be arriving from Canada on Christmas Eve and I'd like to at least have clean sheets on their beds and food for them to eat. I also have my exciting colonoscopy scheduled for Friday afternoon, so that day is pretty much shot. Besides that, I haven't been able to put Neal's last 2 checks in the bank, and bills need to be paid. The good news is that the weather forecast is pretty good for the rest of the week. Maybe the utility workers will get a second wind and speed up the process. Or...just maybe...we'll have an "authentic" old-fashioned Christmas, just like the pioneer days. On the other hand, the Doubletree is sounding pretty good.

I've tried to use my time wisely while here in Texas. My 15,000 mile maintenance was due on the Honda....Check. Missed my appointment this week to have my gray hair colored, which was already long overdue. Found my trusty back-up in Houston. Blonde again...Check. Read the novel on ancient Rome that was a birthday gift LAST MARCH...Check. (You can quiz me on the life of Cicero.) Gone to the gym three times...not near enough, but better than not at all, right Janet? I've checked my email every day for my next chance to play Scrabble...Mom and Sandra kept up well, but Linda held up the game for a few days. (I may be the one holding it up this week, sorry guys.) I've read every blog I know of--some of them 2 or 3 times--and stayed up with the latest Tulsa news and weather via internet. I've started learning Spanish! Just happened to have the instructional CD's with me....muchas gracias, Terri! The RV is as clean as it has ever been and I've even emptied the dreaded "black tank" twice. I've watched 4 movies in their entirety. Been awhile since I've done that! I know where to find every Starbucks and Marble Slab Creamery within a 20 mile radius...should've made more trips to the gym :-(

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't been to the gym in 2 weeks! I will never be the same. This week I am Christmas shopping in hopes I won't have to Saturday and Sunday.

Janet