Saturday, December 08, 2007

Just Gimme the Drugs

Refills for my blood pressure medication had run out, so as is customary, Walmart called the physician to get the "ok." The nurse called my house to inform me that they could give me a script for 1 month, but I'd have to see the doctor before any more refills. Now, mind you, I've been on this particular medication for about 15 years, with good results and no problems. I think this is a scam, to get money out of me and my insurance company. The appointment was made for Monday, the 10th. Last week, Neal seemed a little down and lonely, so, the loving and thoughtful wife I am ;-) I decided to make a trip south, and didn't want to try to be home in time for Monday's appointment. Thought maybe if I talked to the doc I could convince him that I didn't need to be seen....("I know you're so busy during this flu season, why don't we just do this by phone?"). No such luck. Could I just see the Physician's Assistant that day (Wednesday) at 11:00. Sure....will it be cheaper? Again, no such luck. Now to set the record straight, I really do LOVE my doctor. He's a good listener, and when I have a problem, concern, or request, he's very attentive and accomodating. But honestly, I'll be 52 in March and still not a word about needing a colonoscopy. You think I'm going to mention it!?!? The PA immediately noticed by my records that it was THAT time. Also that no blood work had been done for 3 years--bring in the needles. And maybe, when the results from my blood work come back, it might be a good idea to monitor my heart for a few days. Whoa! Am I her first patient this week? Isn't she ambitious! Just give me my drugs, for Pete's sake! She wasted no time in setting up the "dreaded procedure" for December 21. Neal's a little bummed that I'll only have to take pills in preparation--no large quantities of the yucky fluids, and that I'll be under sedation...unlike his unpleasant experience a few years ago. He's sadistic----now why did I feel the need to come to Texas to comfort him??????

2 comments:

Amy said...

Oh, no. So you are one of "those" patients that I am learning about. : )
I took pills for my colonoscopy and I don't think they were that much more pleasant than the fluid!

Wilma said...

wow! You should be in good shape for us when we arrive Christmas Eve!