Monday, March 03, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me

Saturday, March 1, was my 52nd birthday. That's sort of painful to say out loud. Lots of things are painful these days. But I had the best day! Neal and I met at Summers Mill Retreat and Conference Center at Belton, Texas on Friday. See, I share "my" day with two of my favorite people, whose anniversary is also that day. Bill and Alma Bunting have been a major force in my life since about 1964, when our families met in Lubbock while Bill and Dad were attending Sunset School of Preaching. Together, we moved to St. Thomas, Ontario in 1966 to establish a church in that community. Too many great memories to even begin trying to list them. There was almost no distinction between the Smiths and Buntings, as we seemed to be one big family, leaning on, struggling with, enjoying and celebrating with each other. Alma's cancer has returned with a vengeance. But this weekend was all about celebrating their 50th anniversary. They have been blessed for the past 10 years managing the Retreat Center, which is located in a beautiful part of Texas, half-way between Waco and Austin. What great fellowship we enjoyed with Bill & Alma, my parents, the Bunting girls, Julie & Tammy, Alma's niece, Connie, and Phyllis Kirkland, one of the charter members of our tiny church in St. Thomas, and another big influence on my life. God granted us gorgeous weather and we spent our entire Saturday outdoors....I have a bit of a sunburn, but good ol' Mom had her trusty little jar of aloe vera. Neal and I managed to spend some alone time, taking a long walk Friday evening and 4-wheeling...fishing...gathering flint rock on Saturday. Just before bed, my day ended with a phone call from Jacob singing Happy Birthday. "Happy burday to youuuuu, happy burday TO youuuu, happy BURRRDAYYYY to yooouuuuu, Naannaaa, happy burrrddaayyy to yooouuuuuu!" Then he proceeded to tell me about a "burday present" and "burday party" and "turn off the lights and say Happy Burday"....."would that be fun, Nana?" Perfect ending to a perfect day.

















1 comment:

Shelly Collins said...

Happy Birthday Lita! You look great in all these pics!