Friday, May 02, 2008

Ahhhhh....Life on the Farm

For the past week, I have been doing a lot of work outdoors. Last Saturday, I cleaned out one of the beds and planted tomatoes. Yeah, that's me, Mrs. Farmer Brown. I also pruned the hydrangea and rose bush and pulled a few weeds. Monday I cleaned the dead leaves out of the herb garden (I know, this may be too much for your brain to process) and pulled out some of the sage that's taking over the garden. Yesterday, I dug grass out of the flower bed inside the pool fence to prepare it for planting. Throughout all this digging, weeding, etc., I was constantly alert to the fact that there may be snakes lurking about. Actually, last Saturday, I did see a few (3 or 4) of the small garden variety...more like over-sized worms. After the digging yesterday, my back was screaming for rest, I was hot (it was over 80 degrees) and thirsty. Needing to return a couple of phone calls, I took the phone and a tall glass of ice water to the front porch swing for a little relaxation. Here is what awaited me on the porch by the swing:

Now, I've heard that there are some black snakes that are actually "good" snakes, i.e. non-poisonous, eat rodents and other snakes, etc. I'm hoping someone can tell me if, in fact, these are "good" snakes. The carpenter who is working on my back porch nudged them with a piece of lumber and they didn't strike, so he thinks they're okay. Jeremy and Neal looked at this picture and confirmed my suspicions that they were mating. Oh goody, more little ones on the way.

4 comments:

jessica said...

Scary! I can't believe you got close enough for a picture! I don't care if they are poisonous or not they make me shiver with fear!

jessica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wilma said...

All I can say is "Oh, my!!" "Oh, my!"

Amy said...

I can tell you have been out of the city way too long. There is NO such thing as a "good" snake. Oh, and another thing, perhaps they were too "busy" to strike. You did interrupt them.