Saturday, May 17, 2008

Early Morning Serendipity

Yesterday, I was up at 6:00 to drive to the hospital for my stress test. I'd had a very restless night. We were in Jeremy & Trista's bed, Jacob sleeping between us. Did I mention he inherited his Great Grandpa Smith's restless leg syndrome and his Papa's teeth grinding? Plus, I did not take my sleeping pill, for fear I may have to get up with one of the kids and needed to be able to be alert on cue. Oh yeah, and Neal didn't bring his C-Pap, so he was snoring. I really dreaded the early morning appointment, but was rewarded richly for my effort. As I drove down Highway 97, I could trace the Arkansas River by the heavy fog sitting over it. What a magnificent sight, and at the same time very eery. Then, onto 412 heading east toward Tulsa, the remnants of fog were beginning to lift and hovered over the trees, creating what looked like photo enhancement. As I neared Tulsa, I saw what appeared to be something on fire coming toward me on the opposite side of the highway. Before my very eyes the radiant orange billows of fog dissipated and cleared the way for the sun to rise. It was breathtaking. I don't mean that figuratively. I literally gasped when I saw it, taking my foot off the accelerator and slowing to watch in amazement. In the words of Bruce Almighty (to God), "now you're just showing off."

1 comment:

Wilma said...

Who would have thought you would need your camera to go for a stress test?

With your over night experience you really didn't need to do a tread mill test, all you needed was a monitor.