Friday, May 23, 2008

Stop the Madness!

Last night Neal & I attended our nephew's 6th Grade Graduation. Now, just how many graduations must we endure these days? Granted, Kindergarten graduations are kinda cute. But at this rate, by the time they finish college, no one will want to go to these monotonous rituals. Last night's event dragged on for almost two hours, sitting on bleachers in a sauna (aka gymnasium). Our nephew, Hunter, was one of three valedictorians, and gave a short speech--the main reason we attended. Awards were doled out like cupcakes....Masonic Award, American Legion Award, President's Awards, awards for straight A's in 4th, 5th & 6th grades, awards for A's & B's, awards for straight A's in a certain subject throughout 6th grade, service awards, personality awards, etc., etc., etc. I'm sure every student got at least one award. Then a video of each child--baby and present. During the video, the students presented a rose to their parents (how sweet...is someone getting married?). The principal is moving on next year to another town, another school. So we had to say 'so long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye.' The school board President as well as both 6th grade teachers had to give long speeches on the greatness of this man and how he will be missed. I think I counted 4 poems written for the occasion. Awards and plaques were presented to Principal the Great. Almost over right? Au contraire! Another video! Interviews with each student saying goodbye to their teachers and fellow students as they move on to "the next chapter in their lives--middle school." Now, this doesn't mean that I won't attend ALL my grandchildren's graduations because you know I'll be there. I may even stay for the cookies and punch.

1 comment:

Terry Rush said...

Lita, Lita,

How I love you. Your description is just too fascinating! I don't know why these things can't be creatively designed for a drive-thru!

Maybe we could develop a Graduation Company that moves this along quicker. We could have a motto: Twice the fun in half the time!

I love you today!