Sunday, July 05, 2009

It's a beautiful thing....

Those of you who can't get enough of me through my blog and follow my facebook--sorry, I don't twitter (yet) even though there are thousands of inquiring minds who would love nothing more than to get an hourly update on every riveting detail of my exciting life--will understand the significance of these photos.

A finished fence is a beautiful thing.

That's right, our 4th of July weekend was spent completing the fence that separates our north and south pastures from the highway. 

So, our marriage has survived yet another challenging project. But not without a few bumps along the way.  Like the day I insisted we speak only Spanish while working in the south pasture.  We were leaving soon for Mexico and it seemed like a good time to practice. Neal wasn't enthused about the rules, but after much "eye-rolling" he saw that I wasn't giving in and reluctantly went with the flow. Another "bump" came this weekend when I was taking a tiny break, leaning my forehead against the top rail, when he decided to throw his 45 pound fence stretcher over the rail, slightly misjudging the clearance and causing my head to bounce multiple times against the metal rail.  At least, I think it was a misjudgment.  I've had a headache ever since.

Now, repairing and replacing just a few million feet of barbed wire is all that stands in the way of us finally putting a few calves out to graze.  Maybe next Spring????  That should really be interesting...since we know absolutely nothing about raising cattle.  Stay tuned....

3 comments:

JeanetteLivingston said...

Wow, that fence is so straight and wonderful, I can tell you had a hand in putting it up. I am so proud of your work. Ranching here we come!

Linda said...

I thought that you did have some experience with cattle. I remember several pictures and stories about some in your pasture last year.

Unknown said...

I don't think "raising" them and "chasing them off your property" are the same thing.