Saturday, March 14, 2009

Light & Variable Winds

A perfect forecast after the light snow we had on Thursday.  It's that time of year again.  Time to burn!  We did this last year with the help of our neighbor and friend Alan.  Now we're old pros, so yeah, we can handle this ourselves, thank you very much.


The PLAN was to burn this fence row, and be rid of the dried grass and leaves that had taken up residence over the winter.  

This was NOT the plan.

"Light" is good.  "Variable"...not so much.  

Green Acres is the place to be...


Farm livin' is the life for me!


Land spreadin' out so far and wide....

Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside.

We were not prepared for the sudden wind shifts and found ourselves in trouble a few times.  Suffice it to say, pretty much our entire farm has been burnt off.  And we managed somehow not to lose any buildings, fences or vehicles.  High five!

However, I think Oliver...I mean, Neal... got a l-i-t-t-l-e close to the garage.

Actually, Jeremy had come over and started helping us.  My ADD kicked in mid-burn and I got side-tracked picking and piling up limbs and brush, and burning the pile.  Then my OCD took over and I couldn't bypass even the smallest twig.  Blast my perfectionism!  Jeremy was trying to keep me focused when Neal was burning the North pasture and the wind changed direction. He was yelling for help, but we were way beyond ear shot.

Even Gracie got in on the act 'cause she couldn't stand to see us out there having all the fun without her.  She proceeded to roll around in the charred fields and completely camoflaged all signs of her beautiful white coat (while I saw the 25 bucks I'd spent on her bath go right up in smoke....pun intended). 



Our marriage survived the day of burning, much like these daffodils.


You may be wondering how I had time to take all these pictures when the fire was out of control much of the day.  Well, let's just say I have my priorities.

Doo doo ta doo doo... bunh bunh
Doo doo ta doo doo... bunh bunh
Doo doo ta doo doo
Doo doo ta doo doo
Doo doo ta doo doo... Bunh Bunh!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

HOLY COW - is that the light I saw in the sky the other day...lol - Scary stuff. I am glad that all is well.

Barbie said...

OMG Lita. Glad all turned out well. You guys needs to have a fire truck in call next time. That looks scary. Yall be careful.