Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Tuesdays with Lauren

It is a beautiful sight to see your son dressing his daughter for the day. The way they anticipate one another's next move, the synchronization of the arms coming out of the pajama sleeves and into the t-shirt sleeves...the peacefulness of seeing her sitting on the bathroom counter while Daddy brushes her hair and sweeps the top into it's tiny rubber band....and the sheer wonder of watching Daddy pick out the bow that best matches today's outfit. Very heart-warming. But it's also a very sad day. My last "Tuesdays with Lauren." My part-time job begins next week and I will be working on Tuesdays. Is that why Lauren sang Jesus Loves Me in her sweetest voice on the way to BSF this morning? I think so. It was sheer torture. Thankfully, I had volunteered to help in the Children's Program this morning (which is why I didn't WORK today), and the 3-yr.-olds kept me very busy and my mind off the fact that it was my last BSF. But when I picked Lauren up from her class and told Miss LeeAnn that it was her last day, we both fell apart. Miss LeeAnn gathered her up in her arms and I didn't think she was ever going to let go. It has been a very special six months and I'm so lucky to have shared Tuesdays with my precious granddaughter.

After lunch, we made a trip to the foot doctor. Lauren was an angel and didn't budge from her chair throughout the entire exam (including x-rays). Granted, she rummaged through every nook and cranny of my purse and exposed every credit card, mini-pad and Preparation-H suppository to the whole medical staff, and wrote out a few checks in my checkbook...but that's okay, it's our last Tuesday.

I was relieved to learn that surgery may not be necessary. We'll start with new shoes. NEW SHOES! I've always known that new shoes could solve many a dilemma, but Neal never believed me. I was given a list of stores that sold shoes that I needed to try and New Balance...one of my favorite stores...is on the list. The doc said that there were stylish, fashionable shoes as well, and I'm looking forward to shopping tomorrow for my "prescription." Of course, I have to keep reminding myself that this is a PODIATRIST not AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL, assuring me that I can still wear "cute" shoes. We'll see. Did you every wonder if your feet were still growing? When I got married, I wore a 5-1/2. Now I wear 6-1/2 and sometimes 7. Found out today, that as we get older (cringe) our arches start falling so our foot base takes up more space! Who knew! Probably shouldn't have spent so many summers in flip-flops.

Even though Lauren fell asleep on the drive home, she woke up quickly when we arrived at the house. She had already gotten out the Boggle game and insisted that we "play." I began spelling out her name, looking for the right letters and, more to myself, but still out loud, said, "Let's see...L....A...." and she chimed in "...U...." Coincidence? I think not.

She always refers to her baby as he/him. Seems odd to me. Anyway, she had to take care of him.

You have to squeeze really hard to get the Diaper Rash Cream to come out.


I guess it's not necessary to take off the pj's before applying said Cream.


Feeding time.
Notice the chic blessit (bracelet) that she also wore to the doctor's office.

Shaking the bottle.

Lauren, thank you for making Tuesday the bright spot of my week and for giving me an overabundance of blog material. I love you.









1 comment:

JeanetteLivingston said...

Oh man I am sad now...