Saturday, May 09, 2009

Too Busy

I saw a bumper sticker yesterday that said, "Jesus is Coming....Look Busy."  Kind of comical. Kind of.  

I think I've become too busy.  I seem to have gotten myself involved in a myriad of "good" things.  Ministries, if you will.  The thing is, they're all things I want to do.  But it has me stressed and exhausted. I started a new part-time job--a job that I love.  I'm teaching a ladies Bible class on Wednesday nights.  I'm planning another mission trip to Mexico in June (if the swine flu is contained by then).  Because of the trip, I'm involved in fund-raising.  I was responsible for planning the Cinco de Mayo dinner (and couldn't have done it without a little....no, a HUGE amount of help from my friends).  Last night I was up 'til past midnight organizing donations for our garage sale.  And today I spent most of the day at the sale. Vacation Bible School is right around the corner.  You guessed it. I'm on the planning committee.  I'm getting emails from our Deacon of Missions about a proposed trip to Quebec this summer.  I've taken on the task of keeping our foyer bulletin board current, as well as a new member profile display.  I'm the church Librarian, although lately I've been shirking that duty a little.  Yes, I think if Jesus came today, he would definitely find me busy.  But is that really the point? 

I've been in an irritable mood lately.  Neal has been having some physical difficulties, and it has me worried.  But instead of being sympathetic, I find myself angry.  When we both finally sat down this evening, we (he) decided to talk about my sour disposition. :-(  I told him about my stress level and all the things that were closing in on me.  I told him how I missed my grandkids. How during the day I would think about going to get them, but by the time I was heading home, I was exhausted.

Shortly after we talked, Jeremy called and they wanted to come over.  This is what I've been missing:






I really don't want to be so busy being "busy" that I don't have time for a relationship with my family, and for that matter, a relationship with God.  If Jesus comes and finds me watching Planet Earth with Jacob, while Lauren is sitting in my lap reading There's a Mouse About the House, I don't think He'll mind at all.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Just reading about all the things you do tired me out. I have to go take a nap now.