Sunday, September 28, 2008

Favorite Phrases

Friday afternoon, I picked Jacob up from school. From the moment he saw me walking down the hall, all the way to the car, buckling up in the car seat, he was talking non-stop. He could hardly get a breath. I pulled out of the parking lot and onto the highway and he said, "Nana, you want me to shut my eyes til we get there?" I said, "sure." Two minutes later, he was in a sound sleep. Slept through getting out of the car seat, being carried around while getting a pillow and blanket, and being put down on my bed. Slept for two hours. Of course, it was one of the stories I told Neal when he got home and we had a good laugh. Yesterday, we worked outside all day, Neal mowing and me preparing the deck and starting the process of waterproofing it. Last night, Neal and Jeff were watching the football game and I laid down on the couch with Neal. I said, "you want me to shut my eyes til the game's over?" I think it's my new favorite saying.

Here are a couple others.

When the boys were little, around 3 and 5, we were driving along and hit a big chug hole. Jeffrey popped up from the back seat and said, "What the hall was that?" to which Jeremy immediately whipped his head back and forth between us to see if we were going to punish his little brother for the obscenity. To this day, Neal and I will occasionally use that same phrase. It just stuck.

Our Wisconsin friends' son gave us another. When Kyle was very young, maybe 3, he would make a statement and then end with "eeder" (either?) which changed the statement to a negative. It might have had something to do with a phrase made popular on SNL (the "good" years...80's). For instance..."that's hilarious--not!". But Kyle would say something like, "I like vegetables--eeder." It caught on, and made perfect sense to all of us who were in the circle. Thanks, Kyle, you were great entertainment.

So, is there a word or phrase that you've adopted from one of your kids or grandkids? I'd love to hear them. (Actually I just like getting comments on my blog, so I'm fishing.)

8 comments:

Jenny said...

I love comments from little kids, they are the best!

Wyatt likes to say "membr that?"(remember that) after EVERYTHING he says. No matter where the conversation is going.

Unknown said...

Yeah, Janet is always telling me something then saying, "MEMBER?!?"

Wilma said...

Dad and I read the book "Hello Joe, what do you know, nothing new, what's with you" so many times. And you could quote the entire book. We still will say to each other," What do you know? " To which the other one answers "Nothing new what's with you."

Another favourite saying for us is "let's run Joe Sam" when its cold and we want to hurry. This originated when we were at one of our high school parties, playing a game where you could walk around the school with a member of the opposite sex. In the dark!!! A young boy named Joe Sam got the privilege of walking with my best girl friend. They only walked a short way and he said "Let's run!" That expression has stuck with us all these years!

bailey said...

cute background, there are so many cute ones on that site I might change mine once a week!

Unknown said...

One of Hannah's funny's was, "Toscusting" instead of disgusting.
One time at a hotel in Dallas, Ethan all the way down the hall screaming he wanted to "push the button for the alligator" Sometimes we still call elevators the alligator.
Caren

Unknown said...

Those are all great!

jessica said...

When Joel is finished doing something eating, bathing, going to the bathroom he always yells "I'm dumb!" (instead of I'm done) to which Jonathan replies "you're not dumb your very smart".

Anonymous said...

My favorite saying from Taylor was "chowty" (chow-tee). When her lips were chapped she would say "mom, my lips are chowty. I need some "clips"...also known as chapstick.:)