Sunday, September 14, 2008

Sunday Morning Circus

With Jeremy & Trista in NYC for a few days, our grand parental duty started this morning. It seems like only yesterday that we were wrestling J & J on a church pew, but somehow I had forgotten how little time is spent worshiping and how much time is spent corralling the kids. Being the planner and organizer that I am, I packed a bag last night with coloring books, stickers, paper, crayons, etc. and even wrote the contribution check so that I would have it ready to tear out and drop in the plate. We were either very brave or very naive by choosing to sit in our regular pew, just a few rows from the front. As we were standing and singing the second of three "stand-up" songs, I glimpsed out of the corner of my eye a blond head peeking out from under the pew in front of us. Neal had noticed at the same time and in unison we each extended our right forefingers and gestured to "come back." Jacob had brought some of his matchbox cars that kept him relatively occupied and Lauren kept busy coloring and writing on the attendance cards from both our pew and the pew behind us (she can be sneaky). Communion time. Uh oh. Miss Prepared forgot to pack any snacks, and at the passing of the bread, both kids were suddenly starving. Papa made a trip to the kitchen to retrieve cookies. Meanwhile, I searched my purse frantically for the check I had so painstakingly prepared the night before, and finally gave in to the fact that I had left it sitting on the kitchen table. Sometimes I think I try too hard. After communion and contribution, I happened to notice that the attendance card that Neal had filled out was still sitting at the end of the pew. Now, I did put a card in the plate when it was passed (in lieu of actual contribution) but I don't think it will be legible. Papa tried taking Jacob to Children's Bible Hour, but no such luck. No big deal...they'll be fine. Shortly into the sermon Lauren decided to start a game of rocking forward on my lap, then leaning back and sticking her pink-tighted legs and black patent leathered feet high into the air and practicing her scissor kick. I'm sure the rest of the congregation were getting quite a show. Midway through the sermon Lauren became restless and after whispering to her several times that we would be leaving soon and go eat pizza, I decided to take her out to change her diaper. Walking up the aisle that was much longer than I remembered, she bellowed out, "OHHHH-KAYYYY!" Snickers were heard throughout the auditorium. I went into the nursery and began changing her when one of the nursery attendants informed me that I had not one, but two spaceship stickers on my toes. Ohhhh, I love and admire and sympathize with all the young mothers out there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought the two of you were great with the kids. I can say this with confidence since I could see everything clearly. Because you are wrestling with the kids you can't appreciate that everyone else is smiling since memories of their children are now dancing in their heads. Everyone has been there and can now look back with a different perspective. Many miss those days with their children.

Terri