Saturday, October 25, 2008

Sleepover, Part III

After putting Jacob to bed, it was my turn to take a hot, leisurely bath. Woo Hoo! Although, it's very hard to relax when 57 GI's are drying off on the edge of the tub and you dare not knock even one of them over.

I didn't get much sleep, even though I did take my sleeping pill. I don't know if it was listening to the rhythmic breathing of my 4-year old grandson, worrying whether he was too hot or too cold, being jabbed in the back with his feet...or his head...whichever diagonal position he preferred at the time, or the strong smell of Polo cologne that he had spilled in the bathroom before bed. ("Oh no, Nana, now we got to buy Papa some new green cologne.")

This morning we made pancakes, and now that Jacob's a "chef extraordinaire" I had lots of help. Between his measuring techniques, and my mistaking soda for baking powder and having to try and dip the proper portion back OUT of the mixture, it's amazing that they turned out at all. But I have to say, they were some of the best pancakes I've ever had...and he agreed. Our battle was over the syrup, which he insisted on pouring himself. He would pour...I would say "stop"...he would pout and run to the living room...I would pour some from his plate to mine...he would come back and pour some more...I would say "stop".....and so on, and so on, and so on. You get the picture. He ended up with half the bottle of syrup in his plate.

A little pancake with your syrup???

I kid you not. I opened this bottle for the first time this morning!

After breakfast we had the age-old argument about going to the Aquarium. Maybe I should put "The Blue Planet" away for a couple of months. He wanted Linda and Marcia to come to my house TODAY and we could all go to the "Quarium." I could not convince him that this was impossible. So we finally called Linda, and I guess through their conversation he realized this was NOT going to happen TODAY. So he was a little bummed when I took him home, but soon recovered when Mommy told him his cousin Braden was coming over. Too bad all our disappointments aren't so easily remedied. Oh the life of a 4-year old.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I want to know how you got him to sit still in the car for the trip to Jenks after all of the syrup...LOL
Sounds like you all had a great time.
Caren

Terry Rush said...

When you go for the new cologne, try the Polo Explorer. Mighty good!

I love you today!