Thursday, October 16, 2008

Squirrelly


This squirrel is taking up way too many picture frames on our game cam, not to mention the drain on the batteries. Today, while Neal was supposed to be working on fences, I heard some gun shots. If you're an animal rights activist or the least bit squeamish, you may want to stop reading.....now.

My day consisted of cleaning out "Jeff's room" and then tackling the garage. Around 3:30, I deserved a break and took a glass of iced water to the Adirondack chair for a little rest and relaxation. Wait a minute--what's that by the deck steps? Seems our furry friend...had friends. Three friends. And they all ended up on our supper table. Cause that's what a cool wife I am. Fried those little guys up and Neal was in hog--I mean SQUIRREL--heaven. For those of you dying of suspense, no, I didn't fry the heads. My husband is a lucky man, but not THAT lucky. Some of you may remember the story of the time he cooked dinner for me. That's right--fried squirrel. I walked in the door after work and smelled dinner. Everything was ready and on the table, the centerpiece being a platter of squirrel, including all the little heads, fried up and placed around the rim of the platter, facing out. Needless to say, my appetite disappeared pronto. It's the thought that counts though, right?

I know you all want my famous Fried Squirrel recipe, so here it is:

4 squirrels, skinned and cut up by your macho husband into small pieces so that they no longer resemble fetuses (throw away the hind legs--they're not tender like the rest)
1 cup flour
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups vegetable oil

Heat oil in heavy iron skillet that your grandma handed down to you.
Roll small squirrel parts in salted and peppered flour
Fry until golden brown

Bailey, feel free to add this recipe to your Thursday night repertoire. That is, unless you're one of the ones that stopped reading after the first paragraph.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Eeeeewwwwww . . . if this is what 'country' living is all about I don't want to be one;)

bailey said...

thanks for the permission to use that one on my blog, but I dont think fried squirrel is really high on my list of yummy things! I try to stick with chicken and beef, sometimes pork too