Wednesday, October 01, 2008

!Termino! (It's Finished)

Last night was my last Spanish class. Actually, it wasn't really "class." We all met at Tijuana (the restaurant, not the city) for a celebration. Some of our spouses and one of the students' kids also came and we had a total of 22 at the table. It was great fun as we tried speaking to the Spanish waiters and reminisced about the last 6 weeks. We had such a diverse group, taking the class for various reasons, including: those of us who were mission-minded, a couple of nurses, some men in the construction business, a restaurant owner, a real-estate appraiser, a software developer, Jonathan & Jessica, who are going to Honduras next week, etc., etc. Each week, our teacher would give us all a chance to ask her to translate a specific phrase in Spanish, one that was specific to our field. This exercise became a favorite and was the source of much of the fun and laughter we enjoyed throughout the semester. Here are some of my favorites (you may need to use them some day and you'll thank me):

Jessica: Can I flush the toilet paper? Puedo hechar papel?
Kelly: I need to see your incision. Necesito ver tu incision.
Terry: Right click on the desktop. Haz click a la derecha.
Emily: My child has discipline problems. Mi nino tiene problemas de disciplina.
Lacy: Please calm down! Calmese, por favor!
Sarah: Don't jump on the furniture. No saltes en los muebles.
Cute Construction Boy (sorry, can't remember his name, just his cute smile): Go get the re bar. Trai la varilla.
Terry: You need a dual connection for the videocard. Nececitas una coneccion dual para la videocard.
Dan: I'm calling to appraise your house. Hablo para valuar su casa.
Stephen: Get off the tractor! Bajate del tractor! (I may need this one myself.)

Here is a picture of our teacher, Elvira (El-bee-rah) with her favorite, brightest, star pupils:

My face looks really big in this picture. Is my face really that big? Now I'm paranoid.

I would love to take the Spanish II class that starts in a couple of weeks, but don't want to make the long drive by myself every week. Trying to talk someone into going with me. Any takers?

2 comments:

jessica said...

Jonathan and I talked about taking the Spanish II class but it was so hard to find a sitter each week on school nights so I don't think we are going to.

I think the construction guys name was Jarod maybe?

Anonymous said...

Your face is not that big. You were closer to the picture taker and I have a freakishly small head!

Janet